Director of Online Education, BIDMC Fellowship in Disaster Medicine
Academic Staff, Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland
Eric Clarke is currently a member of academic staff at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and lectures in Health Informatics to foundation year students in Dublin, Bahrain and Penang. As the use of technology has become embedded with the undergraduate curriculum, Eric has applied his experience to advise and contribute to a range of academic projects within the organisation.
Eric has presented his work at both national and international conferences in the areas of medical education and technology enhanced learning. In June 2013, Eric was invited to contribute to a technology workshop hosted by International Association of Medical Science Educators. He has also facilitated several other national and International conference workshops on the use of virtual Learning environments to support learning.
Eric is a native of Dublin and is married with 3 children.
• McGarvey A, Brugha R, Conroy R, Clarke E, Byrne E. International students‚Äô experience of a western medical school: a mixed methods study exploring the early years in the context of cultural and social adjustment compared to students from the host country. BMC medical education. 2015;15(1):1.
• Byrne E, Brugha R, Clarke E, Lavelle A, McGarvey A. Peer interviewing in medical education research: experiences and perceptions of student interviewers and interviewees. BMC research notes. 2015;8(1):513.
• Meshkat B, Cowman S, Gethin G, Ryan K, Wiley M, Brick A, et al. Using an e-Delphi technique in achieving consensus across disciplines for developing best practice in day surgery in Ireland. 2014.
• McVey RM, Clarke E, Segev Y, Grantcharov T, Covens A. Determining the role of a national objective assessment of surgical skills in gynecological oncology: An e-Delphi methodology. International Journal of Gynecological Cancer. 2014;24(6):1098-104.
• Holland J, Clarke E, Monro M, Kelleher E, Glynn M. Examining the relationships between attendance, online engagement and summative examinations performance. 2014.
• Gethin G, Grocott P, Probst S, Clarke E. Current practice in the management of wound odour: An international survey. International journal of nursing studies. 2014;51(6):865-74.
• Ryan S, Saunders J, Clarke E, Fenton J. An appraisal of the utility or futility of ENT consultant postal questionnaires. European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology. 2013;270(4):1531-7.
• McVey RM, Clarke E, Joyce P, Turner M, Gannon MJ. Toward a wiki guide for obstetrics and gynecology trainees in Ireland. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics. 2013;120(3):301-6.
• Loh KP, Ghorab H, Clarke E, Conroy R, Barlow J. Medical students’ knowledge, perceptions, and interest in complementary and alternative medicine. The journal of alternative and complementary medicine. 2013;19(4):360-6.
• Barrett T, Cullen C, Clarke E, Daly F, Fewer R, Loughnane M, et al. Reasoning in Assessment: How do clinical teachers assess undergraduate clinical performance in physiotherapy? A mixed methods pilot study. 2013.
• Soon Y, Gethin G, Meshkat B, Walsh T, Cowman S, Wiley M, et al. Evaluation of patient satisfaction with the day surgical services in an Irish teaching hospital. BMC Proceedings. 2012;6(4):1-.
• Meshkat B, Soon Y, Gethin G, Cowman S, Wiley M, Brick A, et al., editors. Adverse events post day surgery; a survey from an Irish teaching hospital. IRISH JOURNAL OF MEDICAL SCIENCE; 2012: SPRINGER LONDON LTD 236 GRAYS INN RD, 6TH FLOOR, LONDON WC1X 8HL, ENGLAND.
• Meshkat B, Cowman S, Gethin G, Ryan K, Wiley M, Brick A, et al., editors. eDelphi-An electronic consensus process for developing best practice on day surgery in Ireland. IRISH JOURNAL OF MEDICAL SCIENCE; 2012: SPRINGER LONDON LTD 236 GRAYS INN RD, 6TH FLOOR, LONDON WC1X 8HL, ENGLAND.
• Loh K, Ghorab H, Clarke E, Conroy R, Barlow J. Complementary and alternative medicine: knowledge, interest and attitudes of medical students. BMC Proceedings. 2012;6(Suppl 4):P29.
• Gethin G, Probst S, Grocott P, Clarke E, editors. AN INTERNATIONAL SURVEY OF CURRENT PRACTICE IN MANAGEMENT OF WOUND MALODOUR. WOUND REPAIR AND REGENERATION; 2012: WILEY-BLACKWELL COMMERCE PLACE, 350 MAIN ST, MALDEN 02148, MA USA.
• Cowman S, Gethin G, Clarke E, Moore Z, Craig G, Jordan‚ÄêO‚ÄôBrien J, et al. An international eDelphi study identifying the research and education priorities in wound management and tissue repair. Journal of clinical nursing. 2012;21(3‚Äê4):344-53.
• Spooner M, Strawbridge J, Clarke E, Gallagher P, Kelly J, McElvaney NG. Novel online inter-professional education in Prescribing Science for pharmacy and medical interns and undergraduate medical students. 2011.
• Spooner M, Clarke E, O‚ÄôNeill S, McElvaney NG. Online and clinical assessment of intern competence in management of on-call scenarios. 2011.
• Brugha R, Balfe M, Jeffares I, Conroy RM, Clarke E, Fitzgerald M, et al. Where do young adults want opportunistic chlamydia screening services to be located? Journal of Public Health. 2011;33(4):571-8.
• Brugha R, Balfe M, Conroy R, Clarke E, Fitzgerald M, O’Connell E, et al. Young adults’ preferred options for receiving chlamydia screening test results: a cross-sectional survey of 6085 young adults. International journal of STD & AIDS. 2011;22(11):635-9.
• S Cowman SL, G Gethin, C Watson, K Mac Lellan, C Hughes, E Clarke. The Introduction of an e-portfolio in Nursing and Midwifery Education. Commissioned Report. 2010.
• Collins A, Ridgway P, Spooner M, Clarke E, Doody C, Hill A, editors. DESIGN, IMPLEMENTATION AND VALIDATION OF THE RCSI e-PORTFOLIO: A COMPREHENSIVE EDUCATIONAL AID. IRISH JOURNAL OF MEDICAL SCIENCE; 2010: SPRINGER LONDON LTD 236 GRAYS INN RD, 6TH FLOOR, LONDON WC1X 8HL, ENGLAND.
• Beddy P, Ridgway PF, Beddy D, Clarke E, Traynor O, Tierney S. Defining useful surrogates for user participation in online medical learning. Advances in health sciences education. 2009;14(4):567-74.
• O’Neill P, Clarke E, Thompson D. The European option in the Manchester undergraduate medical curriculum. Education for Health. 1998;11(1):83.
• Hone S, Fenton J, Clarke E, Hamilton S, McShane D. The radio‚Äêopacity of fishbones: a cadaveric study. Clinical Otolaryngology & Allied Sciences. 1995;20(3):234-5.
• Monkhouse W, Lee T, Clarke E. Two years’ experience of assessment of anatomy teachers and courses by preclinical and clinical students. Clinical Anatomy. 1993;6(3):179-84.